Sunday, March 8, 2009

Staring 40 In the Face



...Difficult to admit and even more difficult to say. There's just something about the word "forty" connected to your age. Thirty made my heart skip a beat as I recalled being at a friend's 15th birthday party and saying, "Just think...in 15 more years we'll be 30!!!" Back then it was a lifetime. Forty to me has always meant mature, and on a good day I hope I can fit in that category, but honestly there are days when I still look at my life, my family, my responsibilities, and want to run away. I've decided this may be the year I start subtracting, so for those who are still keeping track, that would make me 38 today. Creative math aside, here I am, staring 40 in the face, loving where I'm at in life, and yet remembering 20 like it was yesterday. Just for fun, I looked up what was going on the year I was born...in case anyone besides me needs a little perspective.
In 1969:
1. The first man walked on the moon.
2. The Beetles gave their last public concert
3. Yes folks, I was born the year of Woodstock!
4. And like it or not, I was born the year Richard Nixon became president.
5. Boeing 747 made its maiden flight.
6. The "halfpence" ceased being legal tender in Britain.
7. (And I know you're all dieing to know this) Wal-Mart incorporated.
8. The Saturday Evening Post printed its last edition.
9. The first troop withdrawals were made from Vietnam.
10. (The best of all) Sesame Street premiered.
And I almost forgot the very, very, very, very best part of the entire day...I blew out all 40 candles in one (big) breath!

3 comments:

Esther said...

I've been putting this off all day, wanting to call you instead of leaving a lame-o comment on your blog, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY anyway. Hope you had a good one.
Love ya!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday Mary!!!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday Mary! You couldn't be a better mom or example. You make 40 look great!