I hope it's ok to discuss women issues on here. I'll keep it G-rated, I promise.
I had a hysterectomy at the young age 31. The subsequent hormonal changes (my boys would disagree that those words are G-rated) were a nightmare, but with the guidance of a great doctor, I was able to get through it all without going on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and I got on with my new normal, which wasn't really that different than pre-hysterectomy (another word my boys think is not G-rated).
The worst symptoms back then were headaches and memory loss. I felt like I was in a fog, and would lose keys, lock myself out of the house, forget appointments... I really, really dislike brain fog.
So a while ago when I started having headaches again, I knew exactly what was happening, and I knew exactly what to do. I started taking the right supplements, creams, etc. and felt like this would all go away, just like it did when I was 30. The headaches went away. The memory loss is still plaguing me.
Last week I left the keys in the ignition of the car that was parked in the driveway, unlocked, all night long. And Tim was out of town at the time. Disturbing! Then this week I locked the keys in the car. Tim had to come home from work to unlock the car for me.
I was saying this to a nice older-than-me lady today and she said, "Oh, it just gets worse. Get Triple A...It will pay for itself."
In the past month I've misplaced my phone more times than I can count. I forget what I'm saying when I'm saying it. I've forgotten when I have carpool. I've confused children about who is picking them up and when because I'm confused myself. I've also almost forgotten to pick children up from practices (thankfully I have other children to remind me). Triple A might be able to help with keys, but I'm pretty sure their coverage doesn't include reminding me to pick up my children.
And I'm really not one of those people who wants to just give up and say "Oh well... This is just menopause." (Sorry kids...that word really is G-rated. I'm pretty sure it's in your health book too.)
So this afternoon I've armed myself with new vitamins and supplements with acclaimed brain boosting powers. I'm hyper-focused on nutrients and in my spare time (ha, ha) you might find me doing brain boosting puzzles and exercises. Menopause, you will not win the brain battle.
(Meanwhile, I'm losing my mind, so if you find it, please return it to me.)

1 comment:
Welcome to my world. Did you see my post about going to Evanston and seeing my 'seven' grandkids? I have eight up there. Needless to say, the oldest one just knew it was her I'd forgotten and was pretty upset.
Post a Comment