Saturday, May 5, 2012

Back Hand Springs


One of my little clients and her younger sisters experienced some family trauma this last year, and have been in therapy.  They're all three in gymnastics, and several months ago, their mother told me the the oldest girl had "lost her back hand spring."  

Trauma is so interesting in how it can eat away at the inner strength of it's victims.  It takes away what could be strong and makes it fearful and uncertain.

But this little girl didn't give up, and after some amazing family work on the issues around the trauma, this little girl was happy to tell me this week that she got her back hand spring back!  After the session we went out to the lawn behind my building and she and her sisters demonstrated their amazing gymnastic abilities.  Sure enough...back hand spring.

Next, while her courage was high, she decided to try another really complicated move that requires landing blind (if I was more into gymnastics, I'd tell you the name, but I don't remember).  She had only ever landed it once before.  She landed it perfectly.

As aware as we all are of the mind-body connection, it is always amazing to see it in action, both what it takes away and what it gives back.  

I don't do gymnastics, but I've been thinking a lot lately about my own back hand spring equivalents...things I find difficult and lose courage to attempt.

My new goal is to not let life beat those things out of me...

Fear is crazy that way.  It doesn't just make us uncertain.  It literally takes away choices...choices to do, to be, and to live.  Sometimes we face the future with uncertainty and are ok with how things are.  Giving up the comfort of the familiar for the the unknown can be unsettling, especially when many times the familiar seems good enough.  But what if that idea was rephrased just a little and we thought instead about giving up the comfort of the familiar for the privilege of a life of freedom and possibilities?  

Back hand springs anyone?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well maybe a cartwheel...Thanks! Love you Mary you are amazing!