Anyone out there not love the Olympics?
I enjoy sports, but admittedly I don't watch them a lot. I enjoy watching most when I care about the team.
Maybe that's why it's so fun to cheer for the USA.
Enter London 2012...
I was looking forward to the Olympics. I was even a little excited. For sure I'd be watching whenever I could. (At least that was the plan.)
Enter Roku. For those who don't know what Roku is, you probably don't want the explanation from a non-techie, but in a nutshell, it's a one-time purchase that streams content to your TV or PC through wi-fi...access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, music, TV, gaming/game station, sports, facebook, etc. Supposedly you can even use your smart phone as a Roku command center (although I haven't figured that one out yet). I hear you can also travel with Roku, although I haven't figured that out either, but I'm sure that it could only make electronically induced comas during road trips that much easier.
But after months of loving Roku and having commercial free programming on demand, we realized we weren't watching TV. Ever. We cut back our package. We still weren't watching TV. Ever. So one week before the Olympics we stopped our satellite subscription. They even sent us a box in which we could return our satellite devices. Done. No more satellite. (Not without another lengthy contract we didn't want.)
But missing the Olympics was breaking my heart...
Really, really breaking my heart.
I'd hear and read about the amazing U.S. gymnastics team...
Michael Phelps...
Missy Franklin...
Stories about non-professional athletes who have pushed themselves and trained to compete against other amazing world athletes...
I was missing it all.
So yesterday Tim became my hero when he went to by an HDTV antennae. Then he worked for hours to figure out how to get a signal (and even returned to the store and bought a new one).
Twoo wuv...
Last night he even watched Olympics with me (and he is not a sports fan).
Four hours of uninterrupted, commercially loaded TV.
Ahhhhhhhhh....

1 comment:
That is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment