Wow. That's all I really can say, and it isn't often I'm speechless.
Ok... So I'm not really speechless, but close.
It has been an incredible gift to see this Random Acts of Kindness day spread. I've had kindness on the brain all week.
Today I tried to get a picture in my mind of the world being filled with thousands of acts of kindness.
But it was the mental picture of people receiving these thousands of acts of kindness that brought tears to my eyes. (And that was when I was speechless.)
I wish you all had the opportunity in your lifetime to get a Ruth hug.
Warmth.
And now that warmth gets to spread.
Thank you all.
Tomorrow morning I'm getting up before the crack of dawn to buy donuts and drive with whichever kiddos are willing (hence the donuts) to Cedar Fort to watch the sunrise.
And praying all day for opportunities to be kind.
Kind to my family...
Kind to those I come in contact with...
Easier said than done. I posted this on our event page on facebook already, but for those who aren't on facebook: Yesterday a woman pulled up beside me at a stop light and beeped her horn. My first reaction in this random contact was a little guarded and defensive. She motioned for me to roll down my window. I did. She told me my right brake light was out in back, and she just wanted me to know before I got a ticket. I remember thinking as we all pulled away how my first reaction wasn't kind. I expected something other than kindness, and my guard was up.
How did we get that way in our world?
I grew up in a rural area of Idaho. (Hi, Juniper, Malta, Raft River, Elba, Almo, Sublett, Naff, Bridge...and all the other little spots on the map where I grew up.) When we go there, my kiddos are intrigued with what we've started calling the "two finger Malta salute." They notice that everywhere we drive, people drive with their hand on top of the steering wheel, then when we pass someone going the other way, they always raise two fingers in a sort of informal wave. They think it's pretty cool that people do that. It's quite a transformation for them to go from a world where we don't look at each other sitting in lines of traffic at stop lights to a place on the map where everyone acknowledges everyone.
One human being recognizing another. Kindness. Simple. Random. Human to human, making us all feel human and connected.
Pass it on.
Anytime. Anywhere. Anything. Nothing is too small. A smile. A wave. A kind word. A phone call. A helping hand.
I can't wait to hear the stories.
(Comment here to share stories we can post later, or comment on our facebook page. We can't wait to hear how this spreads...stories of kindness are already popping up there.)

2 comments:
You are really a talented writer, I enjoy reading these posts :)
Hi
Can I offer you the following:-
Five people I let in traffic
Three people I let cross the road
Three people I haven't talked to in a while contacted or at least e-mailed
One friend for dinner tonight to catch up
A lovely starry night to wish you and your family all love in the world
I have definitely benefitted from participating
Thank you
Jane
Post a Comment