But more than riding, they had found something that united them as a family. They helped morning and night to care for the horses, and because Joie loved to ride, her mom, Ruth, challenged herself to get over her fear of horses and had started riding as well.
They loved their lifestyle, and enjoyed seeing the girls compete.
On June 30, 2007 Joie won Miss Congeniality at a Cedar Fort Rodeo competition.
Six short weeks later her family was gone.
After the accident as Joie's body healed, she was able to ride horses again, and we moved her horse to a stable close to our home so she could continue ride him. That winter, her horse died also.
After that Joie lost interest in horses.
Once in a while she has asked about riding again, but when it came time to sign up she'd change her mind, and has stuck to exploring other interests.
Earlier this spring I told her about a girl on Gabby's soccer team who rode horses and told her I had the phone number of the instructor.
This time Joie was excited.
Maybe it was because it was a different riding style (English, vs. Western which she had learned previously).
Maybe it was because it was a different place and instructor.
Maybe it was because enough time had passed.
Maybe all the above.
Over the past several weeks she's talked almost every day about riding again.
Today was the big day.
She's back in the saddle again...
"Whoopi-ty-aye-yay, I go on my way, back in the saddle again..."
Gene Autry
(Photos by Tim who was kind enough to take pictures for me while I'm home recovering from surgery. I was so sad to miss this day! And F.Y. I. our court date for finalization is back on for July.)
(Photos by Tim who was kind enough to take pictures for me while I'm home recovering from surgery. I was so sad to miss this day! And F.Y. I. our court date for finalization is back on for July.)

2 comments:
I agree that it's probably all of the things combined that have given her the desire to ride again. I'm so glad she is. And may she have good memories, although bittersweet, when she rides. I'm so proud of her.
I never knew that her horse died. Glad to see she is back in the saddle once more!
Post a Comment