Monday, May 9, 2011

Eyesight Over 40

I had my first over forty-bad-eyes experience today.  

Actually, I've seen it coming for a while (pun intended)...the tiny print on food labels and medication bottles...blinking a few times then being able to read it.  I just need a new contact prescription, right?

But tonight I had one of those moments where it was hard to deny what was happening.  

Gabby had a sliver in her foot "that has been there since I was eight, but I think it happened yesterday."

It had at least been in there long enough that it was really, really in there.

My only other experience with Gabby and needles to this point in our relationship wasn't pretty.  It involved two nurses and myself and vaccinations.  

I wasn't super excited to repeat that experience, so I gave the needle to her.  The entire family was piled on our bed watching TV and giving Gabby pointers:

"You have to let mom do it,"

"If you look at the TV, you can't even feel it."

"Just wear shoes when you go outside and you won't get slivers in your feet."  

After a few minutes she gave me the needle, and told me to do it.  She leaned up against Tim for support and we agreed that if it hurt, she'd say, "Ow!" instead of kicking.  She was awesome!

But my eyes weren't.

That tiny needle...that tiny sliver...They just weren't connecting.

I said I couldn't see it, so Gabby helped by moving her foot closer.  I pulled back to see.  That's when I knew I was really in the over-forty bad eye crowd.  

After a while she decided to try again...

By this time everyone but Tim, Gabby and I were in bed...but as you can see Tim's support role had taken on a very passive role.


A few minutes after I snapped this shot, I got out the flashlight and Gabby said it helped but her leg was hurting from being bent, so she held the flashlight for me while I tried again.  Success!  

But I still don't need drugstore glasses...

As long as Gabby wears shoes outside..  And as long as she'll hold the flashlight for me

Change of topic:  I just have to brag for a minute.  I came home from work this afternoon to this:

Bottled beans, compliments of Tim

Being the prepared-for-any-emergency type, our storage room has been stocked with dry beans for years...beans we'll never use because we buy them in cans.

Tim learned from my sister-in-law (thanks Melissa!) about bottling them so you can use them.  Water.  Beans. Salt.  Pressure cooker.  

No wonder he was so exhausted!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, love your family ... maybe you can adopt me? Except if you're 40, we'd have to be Irish twins or something.

I love the idea of canning beans -- NEVER knew you could do that! I'm going to have to look it up and see if I can do it w/out a pressure cooker.

(Look for an email from me -- I need to ask a question.)

Esther said...

Just last month I finally got through our "I have no idea how old those beans are" supply, by canning them...and yes...thanks to Melissa.