We've already been here...
And we'll probably go back again tomorrow with more family members.
While we remember those we've lost, we're also aware that the history of this day is about so much more.
We love the summer kick-off (although this year you'd have a hard time even selling this weather as spring weather...)
We love family cabin work days (although we missed that this year because of Tim's work schedule...I think we have a to-do list for later)
We love barbecues...
Missing work and school on Monday...
Knowing that summer is right around the corner...
We love all those things and much, much more about Memorial Day Weekend.
We also can't forget to honor those who fight and give their lives to make us free.
"For love of country they accepted death…" James A. Garfield
Sometimes I wonder if my children really know what we're remembering on this holiday. I hope so, but maybe I just assume they know.
Adding a family member this year makes us more aware of explaining and learning about new things, and as we do, we find out that there are things "we never knew we never knew." (from Pocahontas, Colors of the Wind)
Or at least a lot of things we'd forgotten from history class. It made me wonder how many times I've simply uttered, "We remember those who gave their lives for our country," but had forgotten the history behind this holiday.
So for those who want to share more about this holiday with your kids (but have been too many years away from American History 101) here are a few links that help teach kids about this important holiday:
History of Memorial Day
Make Memorial Day poppies
Send a care package to a soldier or visit my sister-in-laws amazing military charity website for multiple ideas on how to get kids involved in remembering those who serve.
Join our family this year in remembering that this is a holiday of remembering.
And enjoy this reminder of our "Ragged Old Flag," the symbol of our freedom for which some gave all.
2 comments:
Thank you for instilling patriotism in your children. I think I am going to check out your sister-in-law's military charity website. Keep up the good work mama!
What a wonderful job you're doing of helping your children understand both grief and patriotism. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow
Post a Comment